PUBMED Link to Articles Authored by Jarrod B. French (french lab members in bold)
34. Nick D. Van Skike, Nana K. Minkah, Chad H. Hogan, Gary Wu, Peter T. Benziger, Darby G. Oldenburg, Mehmet Kara, Deborah M. Kim-Holzapfel, Douglas W. White, Scott A. Tibbetts, Jarrod B. French, Laurie T. Krug. (2018) Viral FGARAT ORF75A promotes early events in lytic infection and gammaherpesvirus pathogenesis in mice. PLOS Pathogens. 14(2): e1006843.
33. James N. Iuliano, Agnieszka A. Gil, Sergey P. Laptenok, Christopher R. Hall, Jinnette Tolentino Collado, Adras Lukacs, Safaa A Hag Ahmed, Taraneh Daryaee, Gregory M. Greetham, Igor V. Sazanovich, Boris Illarionov, Adelbert Bacher, Markus Fischer, Michael Towrie, Jarrod B. French, Stephen R. Meech, and Peter J. Tonge (2018) Variation in LOV photoreceptor activation dynamics probed by time resolved infrared spectroscopy. Biochemistry. 57(5): 620-630.
32. Roger Shek, Devon A. Dattmore, Devin P. Stives, Ashley L. Jackson, Christa H. Chatfield, Katherine A. Hicks, and Jarrod B. French (2017) Structural and functional basis for targeting Campylobacter jejuni agmatine deiminase to overcome antibiotic resistance. Biochemistry. 56(51): 6734-6742.
31. Agnieszka A. Gil, Sergey P. Laptenok, James N. Iuliano, Andras Kukacs, Anil Verma, Christopher R. Hall, EunBin Yoon, Richard Brust, Gregory M. Greetham, Michael Towrie, Jarrod B. French, Stephen R. Meech, and Peter J. Tonge (2017) Photoactivation of the BLUF protein PixD Probed by the Site-Specific Incorporation of Fluorotyrosine Residues. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 139(41): 14638-14648.
30. Weijie Zhou, Yue Yin, Alexandra S. Weinheimer, Neena Kaur, Nick Carpino and Jarrod B. French (2017) Structural and Functional Characterization of the Histidine Phosphatase Domains of Human Sts-1 and Sts-2. Biochemistry. 56(35): 4637-4645.
29. Iva Chitrakar, Deborah M. Kim-Holzapfel, Weijie Zhou, and Jarrod B. French (2017) Higher Order Structures in Purine and Pyrimidine Metabolism. J. Struct. Biol. 197(3): 354-364.
28. Agnieszka A. Gil, Sergey P. Laptenok, Jarrod B. French, James N. Iuliano, Andras Lukacs, Christopher R. Hall, Igor V. Sazanovich, Gregory M. Greetham, Adelbert Bacher, Boris Illarionov, Markus Fischer, Peter J. Tonge and Stephen R. Meech (2017) Femtosecond to Millisecond Dynamics of Light Induced Allostery in the Avena sativa Lov Domain. J. Phys. Chem. B, 121(5): 1010-1019.
27. Jarrod B. French*, Sara A. Jones, Huanyun Deng, Anthony M. Pedley, Doory Kim, Chung Yu Chan, Haibei Hu, Raymond J. Pugh, Hong Zhao, Youxin Zhang, Tony Jun Huang, Ye Fang*, Xiaowei Zhuang*, and Stephen J. Benkovic* (2016) Spatial Colocalization and Functional Link of Purinosomes with Mitochondria. Science, 351(6274): 733 – 737. *Corresponding authors.
• Highlighted in Science Signaling as a ‘Paper of note’: Nancy R. Gough (2016) Sci. Signal. 9(415): ec35
• Perspective article: Eric H. Ma and Russell G. Jones (2016) (TORC)ing up purine biosynthesis. Science, 351(6274): 670 – 671.
• As of March 2016 (two months post-publication), the article level metrics rank this article in the top 5% of all research outputs scored and in the 92nd percentile compared to all outputs of the same age
• Featured in media outlets and webpages:
Stony Brook University Homepage, March 2016.
26. Agnieszka Gil, Allison Haigney, Sergey Laptenok, Richard Brust, Andras Lukacs, James Iuliano, Jessica Meng, Eduard Melief, Rui-Kun Zhao, EunBin Yoon, Ian Clark, Gregory Greetham, Annabelle Ng, James Truglio, Jarrod B. French, Stephen R. Meech, and Peter J. Tonge. (2015) The Mechanism of the AppaBLUF Photocycle Probed by Site-Specific Incorporation of Fluorotyrosine Residues: The Effect of the Y21 pKa on the Forward and Reverse Ground State Reactions. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 138: 926-935
25. Joe Matarlo, Christopher Evans, Indrajeet Sharma, Lubens Lavaud, Stephen Ngo, Roger Shek, Kanagalaghatta Rajashankar, Jarrod B. French, Derek Tan, Peter J. Tonge (2015) Mechanism of MenE Inhibition by Acyl-Adenylate Analogues and Discovery of Novel Antibacterial Agents. Biochemistry. 54(42): 6514. Epub 2015 Oct. 15.
24. Hong Zhao, Christopher R. Chiaro, Li Min Zhang, Phillip B. Smith, Chung Yu Chan, Anthony M. Pedley, Raymond. J. Pugh, Jarrod B. French, Andrew D. Patterson, and Stephen J. Benkovic (2015) Quantitative Analysis of Purine Nucleotides Reveals that Purinosomes Increase de Novo Purine Biosynthesis. J. Biol. Chem. 290(11): 6705-13. PMID: 25605736
• Selected by editorial board to be “in the top 2% of all manuscripts reviewed based on significance and overall importance”
• One of the five most viewed articles in this Journal in January or February (as of Mar. 2015)
23. Feng Guo, Weijie Zhou, Peng Li, Zhangming Mao, Neela Yennawar, Jarrod B. French* and Tony Jun Huang* (2015) Precise manipulation and patterning of protein crystals for macromolecular crystallography using surface acoustic waves. Small. 11(23): 2710. *Corresponding authors. PMID: 25641793
• As of March 2015, the article level metrics rank this article as amongst the highest ever scored in this journal (#26 of 1,165 – top 5% of all articles ranked by attention)
• Featured as a Cover article
• Featured in several media outlets:
National Science Foundation News from the Field:
Penn State Materials Research Institute News
22. Chung Yu Chan, Hong Zhao, Raymond J. Pugh, Anthony M. Pedley, Jarrod B. French, Sara A. Jones, Xiaowei Zhuang, Hyder Jinnah, Tony J. Huang and Stephen J. Benkovic (2015) Purinosome formation as a function of the cell cycle. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 112(5): 1368-73. PMID: 25605889
• 5000 downloads in the first three months post-publication from the PNAS website
21. C. Tony Liu, Joshua Layfield, Jarrod B. French, Philip Hanoian, John Ashbury, Sharon Hammes-Schiffer and Stephen Benkovic (2014) Probing the Electrostatics of Active Site Microenvironments along the Catalytic Cycle for E. coli Dyhydrofolate Reductase. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 136(29)10349-10360. PMID: 4977791
(Prior to joining Stony Brook)
20. Feng Guo, Peng Li, Jarrod B. French, Hong Zhao, James R. Fick, Stephen J. Benkovic and Tony Jun Huang (2015) Controlling Cell-Cell Interactions using Surface Acoustic Waves. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 112(1): 43-8. PMID: 25535339
• As of June 2015, this paper received enough citations to place it at the top 1% of papers for the field (Molecular Biology and Genetics) and publication year (from Essential Science Indicators)
19. Daniel Ahmed, Hari. S. Muddana, Mengqian Lu, Jarrod B. French, Adem Ozcelik, Ye Fang, Peter J. Butler, Stephen J. Benkovic, Andreas Manz and Tony J. Huang (2014) An acoustofluidic waveform generator for spatiotemporal control of the chemical microenvironments. Anal. Chem. 86(23): 11803-10. PMID: 25405550
18. Feng Guo, Jarrod B. French, Peng Li, Hong Zhao, Keith. Y Chan, James R. Fick, Stephen J. Benkovic, and Tony Jun Huang (2013) Probing cell-cell communication with microfluidic devices. Lab on a Chip. 13(16): 3152-62. PMID: 23843092
17. C. Tony Liu, Philip Hanoian, Jarrod B. French, Thomas H. Pringle, Sharon Hammes-Schiffer, and Stephen J. Benkovic (2013) Functional Significance of Evolving Protein Sequence in Dihydrofolate Reductase from Bacteria to Humans. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 110(25): 10159-64. PMID: 23733948
• Over 8000 downloads from the PNAS website (as of March, 2015)
16. Yanhui Zhao, Danqi Chen, Hongjun Yue, Jarrod B. French, Stephen J. Benkovic and Tony Jun Huang (2013) Single Molecule Studies on Chip. Lab on a Chip. 13(12): 2183-98. PMID: 23670195
15. Hong Zhao*, Jarrod B. French*, Ye Fang and Stephen J. Benkovic (2013) The purinosome, a multi-protein complex involved in the de novo biosynthesis of purines in humans. Chem. Comm. 49(40): 4444-4452. *Equal contributions. PMID: 23575936
14. Jarrod B. French*, Hong Zhao*, Sherry Niessen, Yijun Deng, Songon An, Benjamin F. Cravatt, and Stephen J. Benkovic (2013) The Hsp90/Hsp70 Chaperone Machinery is Involved in the Assembly of the Purinosome. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 110(7): 2528-33. * Equal contributions. PMID: 23359685
• Over 7000 downloads from the PNAS website (as of March, 2015)
• Article level metrics (Altmetric) rank this paper in the top 20% of more than 280,000 tracked articles of a similar age in all journals (as of March, 2015)
13. Ye Fang, Jarrod French, Hong Zhao and Stephen Benkovic (2013) G protein-coupled receptor regulation of purine biosynthesis: a novel druggable mechanism. Biotechnol. Genet. Eng. 29:31-48. PMID: 24568251
12. Yijun Deng, Jongsik Gam, Jarrod B. French, Hong Zhao and Stephen J. Benkovic (2012) Mapping Protein-Protein Interactions in the Purinosome. J. Biol. Chem. 287(43): 36201-7. PMID: 22955281
11. Jarrod B. French, Phillip A. Yates, D. Radika Soysa, Jan M. Boitz, Nicola S. Carter, Bailey Chang, Buddy Ullman, Steven E. Ealick (2011) The Leishmania donovani UMP Synthase is Essential for Promastigote Viability and has an Unusual Tetrameric Structure that Exhibits Substrate-Controlled Oligomerization. J. Biol. Chem. 286(23): 20930-41. PMID: 21507942
10. Jarrod B. French, Tadhg P. Begley, Steven E. Ealick (2011) Structure of Trifunctional THI20 from Yeast. Acta Cryst D. 67, 784-791. PMID: 21904031
9. Jarrod B. French, Steven E. Ealick (2011) Structure of 5-Hydroxy Isourate Hydrolase from Klebsiella pneumoniae and Mechanistic Implications. Acta Cryst D. 67(Pt 8): 671-7. PMID: 21795808
8. Jarrod B. French, David Neau, Steven E. Ealick (2010) Characterization of the Structure and Function of Klebsiella pneumoniae Allantoin Racemase. J. Mol. Biol. 410(3): 447-460. PMID: 21616082
7. Jarrod B. French, Yana Cen, Tracy L. Vrablik, Ping Xu, Eleanor Allen, Wendy Hanna-Rose, Anthony A. Sauve (2010) Characterization of Nicotinamidases: Steady-State Kinetic Parameters, Class-Wide Inhibition by Nicotinaldehydes and Catalytic Mechanism. Biochemistry. 49(49): 10421-39. PMID: 20979384
• Chosen as a ‘paper of the week’ by the editors of Biochemistry
6. Jarrod B. French, Steven E. Ealick (2010) Structural and Mechanistic Studies on Klebsiella pneumoniae 2-Oxo-4-hydroxy-4-carboxy-5-ureidoimidazoline Decarboxylase. J. Biol. Chem. 285(46): 35446-54. PMID: 20826786
5. Jarrod B. French, Yana Cen, Anthony A. Sauve, Steven E. Ealick (2010) High Resolution Crystal Structures of Streptococcus pneumoniae Nicotinamidase with Trapped Intermediates Provide Insights into Catalytic Mechanism and Inhibition by Aldehydes. Biochemistry 49(40): 8803-8812. PMID: 20853856
4. Jarrod B. French, Steven E. Ealick (2010) Biochemical and Structural Characterization of a Ureidoglycine Aminotransferase in the Klebsiella pneumoniae Uric Acid Catabolic Pathway. Biochemistry (Rapid Report). 49: 5975-7. PMID: 20565126
3. Jarrod B. French, Yana Cen, Anthony A. Sauve (2008) Plasmodium falciparum Sir2 is an NAD+-dependent deacetylase and an acetyllysine-dependent and acetyllysine-independent NAD+ glycohydrolase. Biochemistry 47: 10227-39. PMID: 18729382
2. Jarrod B. French, Giles Holland, Herbert L. Holland, Heather L. Gordon (2004) A Comparative Molecular Field Analysis of the Biotransformation of Sulfides by Rhodococcus erythropolis. J. Molec. Cat. B: Enzym. 31: 87-96. doi: 10.1016/j.molcatb.2004.08.001
1. Herbert L. Holland, Frances M. Brown, Fred Barrett, Jarrod French, Dean Johnson (2003) Biotransformations of β-ketosulfides to produce chiral β-hydroxysulfoxides. J. Ind. Microbiol. Biotech. 30: 292-296. PMID: 12759809